guix-devel

Re: guix package --search slow ?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: guix package --search slow ?
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 20:32:24 +0200

Hi,

My bad !

On Wed, 15 May 2019 at 15:34, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:

> The warm-cache timings are comparable though, which I think is good.
> :-)

`aptitude search` is not equivalent to `guix package --search` but to
`guix package --list-available`.
The `aptitude` equivalence should be `aptitude search '?term(numpy)'`

And now, Guix is better. ;-)

$ time guix package -s numpy
real    0m7.924s
user    0m1.240s
sys     0m0.144s

$ time guix package -s conduit
real    0m0.758s
user    0m0.796s
sys     0m0.044s

compared to:

$ time aptitude search '?term(numpy)'
real    0m7.393s
user    0m1.556s
sys     0m0.628s

$ time aptitude search '?term(conduit)'
real    0m1.824s
user    0m1.352s
sys     0m0.464s

However, I still think that a SQL caching file containing also
descriptions should improve the searching experience with cold cache.

Thanks! Now I have better understood some internals. :-)

All the best,
simon