guix-devel

Re: guix package --search slow ?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: guix package --search slow ?
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 16:08:05 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, 15 May 2019 at 04:22, Meiyo Peng <address@hidden> wrote:

> I remember "guix package --search" has always been pretty fast since
> this patch series of Ludovic is merged into guix:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-patches/2019-01/msg00254.html.
>
> Before that, "guix package --search" is slow.

>From the message of the pointed patch, only `guix package -A` uses
this new cache. If I understand well.
I mean, this cache is loaded in the function `fold-available-packages'
used by the option `--list-available` but not in the functions used by
the option `--search`.
Ludo pointed the commit 94aeec0aef03ab44e41bfc3e77c3b623cb3d607c which
improves the search by doing directly on the raw Texinfo instead.
Maybe you remembered this one.

Thank you to pointing me this patch, now I know a bit more about the
internals. Not sure to understand well. :-)

All the ebst,
simon