guix-devel

Re: guix package --search slow ?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: guix package --search slow ?
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 16:23:40 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, 15 May 2019 at 15:34, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:

> For the record, commit 94aeec0aef03ab44e41bfc3e77c3b623cb3d607c, shortly
> before 1.0, make ‘guix search’ faster (as in less CPU usage.)

Six time faster the commit message claims ;-)
Awesome how only 2 lines change things.

> The cold-cache timings are worse for Guix, which ends up doing a lot of
> I/O to traverse all these .scm files; APT only has to go through a
> couple of files I guess.

Hum? I do not know how APT (say the `aptitude` implementation) works.
I suppose that `aptitude update` pulls then hashes somehow a database/cache.

I mean reduce the I/O with all these scattered .scm files should
improve the timings.

> The warm-cache timings are comparable though, which I think is good.
> :-)

Yes! :-)
However, because the first search is slow, the final feeling is that
`guix search` is slow. :-(

> We could probably improve the cold-cache timings by adding synopses and
> descriptions to the package cache that ‘guix pull’ builds in
> ~/.config/guix/current/lib/guix/package.cache, but that would also make
> that cache bigger.  Not sure if it’s worth it.

Hum? and why not use SQLite for this file?

All the best,
simon