guix-devel

Re: [ANN] Guile-SSH 0.7.0 released

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [ANN] Guile-SSH 0.7.0 released
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 10:12:40 +0200

Hello,

Thanks for the new release!

My attempt to upgrade the Guile-SSH package in Guix resulted in a bunch
of test failures (logs attached.)

The logs contain fishy errors like:

  ERROR: In procedure primitive-load:
ERROR: In procedure scm_i_lreadparen:
/tmp/nix-build-guile-ssh-0.7.0.drv-0/guile-ssh-0.7.0/tests/./client-server.scm:272:34:
 end of file

Looking at, e.g., client-server.scm, I see several tests that call
‘primitive-fork’, but where the child is not guaranteed to exit, which
could lead to several issues (where several processes would end up
running the test suite.)

To be safe, the code of all child processes should be wrapped in a
‘dynamic-wind’:

  (let ((pid (primitive-fork)))
    (if (zero? pid)
        (dynamic-wind  ;child
          (const #f)
          (lambda ()
            ...)
          (lambda ()
            (primitive-exit 1)))
        ...   ;parent
        ))

That way, even if the child throws an uncaught exception, it will exit
and not pollute the rest of the tests.

I’ve not investigated further, but I think that’s part of the problem.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

PS: Sorry for the big set of attachments.