Re: list building

From: Matt Hellige
Subject: Re: list building
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:25:21 -0600

[Brian S McQueen <address@hidden>]
> I am building a list of string via various calls to C functions.  When the
> list of strings is complete I pass it off to the C based printing
> function.  Anyway, I find myself building the list like this:
>
>         (set! output-list (cons (sgids pref-login) output-list))
>         (set! output-list (cons (gids) output-list))
>         (set! output-list (cons (getd pref-login) output-list))
>
> This seems very awkward.  How should I go about building a list a string
> at a time?

Maybe you've oversimplified the problem in your example, but it seems
like you can just do:

  (define output-list
    (list
      (sgids pref-login)
      (gids)
      (getd pref-login)))

If you already have an output-list you need to preserve, then:

  (set! output-list
    `(,(sgids pref-login)
      ,(gids)
      ,(getd pref-login)
      . ,output-list))

But again, my guess is there's some reason why this needs to be more
complicated...

Matt

--
Matt Hellige                  address@hidden