guile-gtk-general

Re: Death of -glib, Life of -platform

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Death of -glib, Life of -platform
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:35:56 +0200

Hi Jan,

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 15:50 +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Andy Wingo writes:
>
> >   * I don't know how libgnomecanvas ever worked; it seems
> >     gnome-canvas-item-new should have failed always. Jan?
>
> Why do you think that?  See libgnomecanvas/examples/canvas.scm for
> uses of gnome-canvas-item-new; that worked when I checked it in.

Because gnome-canvas-item-new takes varargs. Perhaps my canvas tree is
not up-to-date though. Not quite sure what's going on there.

Beside the point, there should be no need for procedural constructors.
(make <foo-class>) should do it. I've written a canvas app in C before,
I know that gnome-canvas-item-new does something else too. However, one
should be able to do that with a custom initialize method for the class,
or something along those lines.

Regards,
--
Andy Wingo <address@hidden>