guile-gtk-general

Death of -glib, Life of -platform

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Death of -glib, Life of -platform
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 21:50:58 +0200

Hey folks,

I've decided to switch the packaging into only two source packages,
guile-gnome-platform and guile-gnome-extra. The build system only
compiles wrappers for the packages you have installed, so it shouldn't
be a problem for those that only want GLib, or only up to Gtk+, etc.
It's a lot easier for me to test this way. (Although `configure' should
be more informative about which exact bindings can be built.)

The included modules are:

  defs docs glib atk pango gtk libglade libgnomeui libgnomecanvas
  libgnome

I started trying to make info files out of the docs. Seems to have gone
OK, but we need to think out how the docs should work; obviously we're
not documenting all of the wrapped functions, but we should document the
quirks. Also, a way to retrieve documentation from some data source
would be nice. Should probably implement Marius's Grand Help Scheme
first.

news / caveats:
  * version number bumped to 2.5.990, since we're really wrapping the
    gnome platform version 2.6 right now
  * I don't know how libgnomecanvas ever worked; it seems
    gnome-canvas-item-new should have failed always. Jan?
  * I still need to merge Patrick's patches.
  * Still need a toplevel README
  * -extra might come out this week too, with wnck, gstreamer, gda,
    gtksourceview, dbus[0]
  * (gnome pango) added (it was in my tree, whoops)
  * this is still happening on my --release branch
  * guile-gtk-demo works (just testing an uninstalled tarball tho)
  * should be putting examples in /usr/share/doc/guile-gnome, I think
  * the continuations demo needs rethinking in light of gobject's
    lack of exception-safety (cf. recent mail "Exceptions and...")
  * texinfo-browser seems to work

Test it, please!
http://ambient.2y.net/wingo/tmp/guile-gnome-platform-2.5.990.tar.gz

Rotty: do you think you could get out a 1.9.2 version of g-wrap that's
the same as 1.9.1, but with libffi included, and the srfis installing
correctly? It would be really helpful for building this thing from
source.

[0] Made these over the weekend. Pretty fun stuff.

Peace,
--
Andy Wingo <address@hidden>
http://ambient.2y.net/wingo/