guile-gtk-general

Re: How to configure/make guile gtk?

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: How to configure/make guile gtk?
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:45:09 +0100

Hi Greg,

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 08:04 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>   I guess the gnome side is coming along and will supercede the 1.2
>   soon, but there's nothing wrong with having what might be almost a
>   first and last release of this branch, now gnu has taken it up.
>
> You mean the new stuff can be used with existing code written to the
> guile-gtk-1.2 api with no changes?

No. Unfortunately for stability, the change to Gtk 2.0 was an
incompatible one. (It was needed though; a lot of cruft in the C API is
gone now.)

> If not, it's only a new library to migrate to, not a real replacement.
> That's fine - I intend (in my Copious Spare Time) to migrate things to
> guile-gobject and gtk2, but I think a working version of the gtk-1.2
> bindings is nice to have.

For the record, we changed the name of the project to guile-gnome,
because it covers not only the base GObject level of bindings, but the
whole GNOME stack: gtk of course, libglade, libgnomevfs (coming soon!),
etc. Although you can build only glib, or only gtk and its requisites,
or only gstreamer and its requisites, etc.

I do empathise with your situation. It sucks to migrate apps :/

> The whole g-wrap/guile-gtk/guile-gobject complex seems to have a bad
> reputation for never having releases....

It was going well until we went GNU :P

Anyway, I hope we can get something out _this week_. Stay tuned!

Cheers,
--
Andy Wingo <address@hidden>
http://ambient.2y.net/wingo/