Re: [Groff] [Heirloom] Generating doc/ files

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] [Heirloom] Generating doc/ files
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 22:48:50 +0200

> For the troff doc (from J. Osanna and BWK) I would suggest
> the traditional standard fonts.  For the other documents
> Pierre-Jean has an idea for a replacement.  Don't you agree
> with his proposal?

My point was that for someone simply downloading the sources
to install the program it is not necessary to build the
documentation if it comes pre-built in a cross-platform format
(like PDF).  (Or, if the author has created a sketch for the
documentation using an interactive design program, then a
"source file" may not actually exist, but that doesn't mean we
should not use the created sketch itself, as long as it's in
a format we can process.)

Of course it's a totally different situation if you assume
maintainership of a package -- then it's naturally in your
interests to be able to edit and update and regenerate the
documentation, so evidently all the required resources need
to be at your disposal.  (Just as those fonts were at Gunnar's
disposal when he maintained Heirloom troff.)