Re: [Groff] A few mom incompetencies

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] A few mom incompetencies
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 19:59:11 -0000 (GMT)

On 17-Nov-2012 19:44:27 mikkel meinike wrote:
> Hi Groffies
> This is about a mom job. I started by asking Peter and he showed me how to
> make a kind of stylesheet to make headlines in different colors. I could
> not get it to work probably because my version of groff is hopelessly
> outdated and I have not yet succeded in compiling my own. Therefore I
> decided to do it all with simple typesetting macros. It is fine but I have
> some minor problems.
>
> See (on the attached image) there is a line at the top of the page. If I
> want it to go away how do I do it? If I want it to stay how do I get text
> to land below the line instead of on top of it?
>
> Finally, I have not figured out how to make blank lines. In html I do that
> with the br tag :-) but putting in several .BR tag does'nt seem to work
> here. So how to do that.
>
> Thanks
> Mikkel

Hi Mikkel,
[1] Your message as received had no attachments (neither image nor groff
input).

[2] For a simple blank line, you can use the groff request:

.sp

This will move the next line down by a distance equal to the distance
between the baselines of successive text lines (i.e. by the amount in
the register \n[.v]).

For different distances, use '.sp' with a distance argument; e.g.:

.sp 1m   \"moves down by a space 1m
.sp 0.5m \"moves down by a space 0.5m
.sp 1.5c \"moves down by a space 0.5 cm
.sp 0.5i \"moves down by a space 0.5 inches

(etc.).

Hoping this helps. To understand the rest of your query, we need to
see the example you geberated.

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Date: 17-Nov-2012  Time: 19:58:51