Re: [Groff] A few mom incompetencies

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] A few mom incompetencies
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 13:46:53 -0500

Mikkel --

Sorry for weighing in on this so late.

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012, Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:
> > Therefore I decided to do it all with simple typesetting
> > macros.  It is fine but I have some minor problems.

> > [...] there is a line at the top of the page.
> > If I want it to go away how do I do it?
>
> .HEADER_RULE OFF

Or, more simply, turn headers off altogether: .HEADERS OFF

> > If I want it to stay how do I get text to land
> > below the line instead of on top of it?
>
> If you set T_MARGIN, the position of the page header is set
> independently from the position of the top of the body text.
> Try setting HEADER_MARGIN to something less than your T_MARGIN.
> Or only set HEADER_MARGIN and HEADER_GAP, not T_MARGIN.

Just to clarify:

.T_MARGIN 3.75c

  - running text starts at 3.75 centimeters, regardless of the
    header position or whether headers are turned on

.HEADER_MARGIN 2.5c
.T_MARGIN      3.75c

  - header is set 2.5 centimeters below the top of the page
  - running text starts at 3.75 centimeters

.HEADER_MARGIN 2.5c
.HEADER_GAP    1.25c

  - header is set 2.5 centimeters below the top of the page
  - running text starts at 1.25 centimeters below the header,
    effectively creating a top margin of 3.75 centimeters

but

.HEADER_MARGIN 2.5c
.HEADER_GAP    1.25c
.T_MARGIN      3c

  - body text starts at 3 centimeters because T_MARGIN
    takes precedence

--
Peter Schaffter

Author of The Binbrook Caucus