Re: [Groff] man page white paper -- mostly in german -- and 2 Questions

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] man page white paper -- mostly in german -- and 2 Questions
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 11:35:41 +0200 (CEST)

> Because I will have a break on working on the "man page white paper"
> I pass on the "first" experimental issue to the groff user group.
>
>       * Remark * I understand this paper now as "Proof of Concept",
>       and I will NEVER see this as MUST and hope no one will do this.
>       **

Nice!  Nevertheless, there exists a tool (please check older
entries of comp.os.linux.announce group) which simplifies management
of multiple languages in one document.

> 1. How get I tmac.ms printing fine on A4 paper ?
>       (I found the changes for the device DESC in groff-Howto,
>       and tmac.a4, but tmac.ms does something more
>       to beleave to be on letter and so printing outside
>       the page)

Try the following replacement for tmac.a4 (which I've also committed
to the CVS right now):

.\" Set up groff for A4 paper.  Must be called before any other macro
.\" package.  For correct PS output, you must also set the
.\" `paperlength' keyword in devps/DESC to 841890 in case groff hasn't
.\" guessed it correctly during configuration.
.
.pl 29.7c
.ll 21c-2i
.
.\" for ms
.if !rLL .nr LL \n[.l]u

> 2. How get I ghostscript to print the additional fonts on screen ?
>       (example man page grops(1), ghostscript 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, 6.01,
>       it's failing with missing fonts. Does someone know how to get
>       groff fonts working with gs ?)

You must have an incorrect setup of gs.  The standard PS fonts are
mapped to URW's Nimbus*, URW* etc. fonts.  I can read the grops man
page without problems using gs 5.50.