gpsd-users

Re: need help: have issues with gpsd-client under python

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: need help: have issues with gpsd-client under python
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2022 12:03:47 -0700

Yo Beta!

On Sat, 2 Jul 2022 12:45:54 +0200
Beta Tester <alpha-beta-release@gmx.net> wrote:

> i now added my own client side reconnect in case of at least 60s
> nonstop "abnormality" - getting nonstop no valid data or getting the
> same response over and over. i see no other way without changing
> everything. maybe i use `gps2udp` later or go a complete different
> way, but not now.

Care to share your solution?

> i just run in the same situation with `xgps`. it stopped updating the
> values/view and the process consumed abnormal high CPU load. so i
> guess it stucked in getting invalid or same response over and over
> again.

No one ever reported similar.  I suggest you figure out a way to fix your
connection problems.  Maybe tunnel in mosh?

> so this issue seems not be related to my used multiple
> threading.Thread(). it must be the poor WiFi connection in
> combination of how the os, python or `gps.gps()` reacts to that
> frequently short interruptions.

You already reported that a better WiFi antenna made things better for
you.
> i mean that on the client side the
> socket does not noticed that the gpsd-server detached the gpsd-client
> and the gpsd-client provides only `not gps.valid` response or
> `gps.valid` response that never changes. or missed i something,

You describe POSIX behavior for a bad socket connection.  We can't
fix POSIX.  Fix your connection.

> determine if the gpsd-client was detached by the gpsd-server in a
> rock solid, bulletproof, reliable way?

The POSIX way is as reliable as it gets.  Since you know, in your
exact case, that you are getting 1 second updates, you could time out
after a few seconds of lost epochs.

IMHO, you will always lose fights with bad conenctions.  Figure a way
around that.  Myabe a mosh tunnel, maybe gps2udp, maybe batch and
send JSON.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588