gpsd-users

Re: ✘UBX-MON-SPAN and antennas

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: ✘UBX-MON-SPAN and antennas
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 19:42:52 -0500

"Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> writes:

> The UBX-MON-SPAN message is a 256 bucket power spectrum around the
> frequencies supported by the GNSS receiver.  The M10S is L1 only, and
> the F9P is L1 and L2.

Very cool.

The graphs seem to be a combination of
   - power spectrum of what is actually being transmitted
   - antenna gain as a function of frequency
   - preamp gain
   - cable loss

It would be interesting to have some reference data for power spectrum.

GPS L5 at 1176 doesn't work well on any of those.

I know there are now some tri-band antennas (I don't have one):

https://www.ardusimple.com/product/calibrated-survey-gnss-quadband-antenna-ip67/

and indeed the normal "dual band" antennas do not support E5a and L5 and
are iffy on E6/B3 and E2.  (E2 is near E1, and I don't understand how it
is used):

  https://www.ardusimple.com/simpleant2b/

GLONASS:

It looks like all 3 work perfectly fine for GLONASS G1 and G2.  I am
also surprised about how close they are.  I am guessing G3 (sort of like
E6) won't work well.

Galileo:

It looks like all 3 don't work very well at E5a (1176.45) but are ok at
E5b (1207.14).  E6 at 1278.75 is also beyond what works.

E5b seems to have the Open Service, so therefore these antennas should
work for dual-frequency galileo, but maybe not be able to form the
E5a/E5b wideline combination for RTK.

E6 seems to be used for the public regulated service.
I'm not sure about Commercial service what's on E6b;  Galileo makes GPS
seem simple...

https://www.e-education.psu.edu/geog862/node/1877