gpsd-users

Re: ✘UBX-MON-SPAN and antennas

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: ✘UBX-MON-SPAN and antennas
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 20:40:23 -0500

"Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> writes:

> Uh, oh.  Due to a brain fart, the antenna ;abeled ANN-BM0 is actually
> another generic GPS+GLONASS.  I'll quickly add the real ANN-MB0 in
> a few minutes.

That will be very interesting.

>> It would be interesting to have some reference data for power
>> spectrum.
>
> What sort of data are you looking for?  IS-GPS-200M has the data
> for the power spectrum you should receive on the earthfrom a GPS sat.

Yes, but what you are seeing in the PSD plot is the sum of multiple
things, GPS, GLONASS, Galileo and Beidou at least.

>> GPS L5 at 1176 doesn't work well on any of those.
>
> I found the ANN-MB0 worked fine with L5 on a Trimble RES720 (L1/L5).
> And the other two not so well.  No way to get this data from a Trimble.
> Eventually I'll get a u-blox L5 receiver.

I guess if the F9P plot of the ANN-MB0 shows low power at L5, that's a
clue it's the F9P input filters.   It totally makes  sense  for a
receiver to filter what it is not trying to receive, modulo cost and
variable phase delay due to tighter filters.

>> and indeed the normal "dual band" antennas do not support E5a and L5
>> and are iffy on E6/B3 and E2.
>
> I used to think so, now I am not so sure.  Now I want data.

The graph you posted shows reduce power at E5a and L5, but as you say
that includes receiver filters.

>> (E2 is near E1, and I don't understand
>> how it is used):
>
> E1 is Galileo, E2 is BeiDou (1561.098MHz, 16MHz)

Usually I see BeiDou written B1/B2/B3 now, but I also think they have
changed their labeling.

Galileo has a confusing notion of E1/E2 at their 15755ish frquency.
Look at the graphic in the middle of
  https://www.e-education.psu.edu/geog862/node/1877
Of course that page could be wrong too.

I guess you need a Septentrio receiver too:

  https://www.ardusimple.com/product/simplertk3b-x5/

which I'm really not clear on but I think does E6.