gpsd-users

Re: some observations on the design intent of gpsd

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: some observations on the design intent of gpsd
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2022 15:53:15 -0500

gpsd is about getting data out of GNSS receivers and things that are
like that.

If you want something that has multiple methods of determining location,
like wifi databases, cell id databases, etc., that's quite a different
project/codebase, and surely that codebase would use gpsd as one of the
possible sources.

Here's an example of this for Android; it's now part of microg:

  https://github.com/microg/UnifiedNlp

There is also this project.  I looked at it years ago and there was some
reason I stopped.  (I don't remember why, and there's no reason to think
that reason still holds.)

  https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/geoclue/geoclue

There are proprietary implementations of this sort of thing in Google
Play Services and in Apple's iOS, for those people that are comfortable
using proprietary code :-(