gpsd-users

Re: ✘3.23 is near. Systemd files

From: Charles Curley
Subject: Re: ✘3.23 is near. Systemd files
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 07:49:31 -0600

On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 09:10:11 +0200
Carles Pina i Estany <carles@pina.cat> wrote:

> when I was debugging my problems (on a Debian 10 and Raspbian 10):
> after I "more or less understood" the socket activation (I haven't
> had to debug problems on software that was managed by systemd's socket
> activation before, so it was a bit confusing and I still feel that I
> don't understand it well enough to be comfortable in a debugging
> session): I wanted to disable systemd's managing gpsd, just to remove
> one thing out of the way (debugging purposes).

Welcome to the club. I don't think anyone here will claim to understand
systemd well enough to be comfortable debugging it. We've all been
dragged kicking and screaming into systemd, some more than others.

> All of this to say: could the "override file" be documented somewhere?
> Either in Debian's /usr/share/gpsd or in gpsd's website.

An override file is nothing but a file in /etc/systemd. It overrides
the distributed configuration file in /usr/lib/systemd/. One reason to
create an override file rather than edit the original is so that
updates won't clobber your changes.

You should probably consult systemd's documentation for what the
individual entries in a systemd file mean. There is some help at
https://gpsd.gitlab.io/gpsd/troubleshooting.html#systemdtroubleshooting

However, if all you want to do is turn off systemd's control of gpsd,
then the following should do it:

systemctl stop gpsd.socket gpsd.service
systemctl disable gpsd.socket gpsd.service

The stop turns it off for the current session, but will not survive a
reboot. The disable turns it off for reboots.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/