gpsd-users

Re: GPS/PPM very large offset

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: GPS/PPM very large offset
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2020 16:42:06 -0800

Yo Mike!

On Fri, 6 Nov 2020 23:51:38 +0000
Mike Simpson <mikie.simpson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Big. Sometimes 3s, sometimes 4s. B&A complaining of 5s.

Ouch.

> On my Pi when it was happening I noticed that the time offset field
> of cgps would jump about rapidly from 0.2s-0.4s to 3.something and
> ntpsec would state that both pps and gps were 3 seconds off.

Apples and Oranges.  The "Time Offset" in cgps is the delay of the
NMEA/binary data from the receiver to gpsd.  Unrelated to PPS, and
why you want SHM) set to ignore.

> Removing GLONASS kept the cgps time offset at 0.something and
> corrected the time seen by ntpsec.

Huh.

> Second time this has come up on the list with the ublox8.

GLONASS is known to be not good for timekeeping, but not that
bad.

Depending on  your receiver model you may be able to store the
GLONASS disable.  For absolutly best timekeeping you want only
GPS, not even SBAS.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588