gpsd-users

Re: Warning: upcoming systemd issue: /var/run

From: Frank Nicholas
Subject: Re: Warning: upcoming systemd issue: /var/run
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 10:34:41 -0400

On Jun 11, 2020, at 10:31 AM, Frank Nicholas <frank@nicholasfamilycentral.com> wrote:

On Jun 11, 2020, at 10:03 AM, Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com> wrote:

Charles Curley <charlescurley@charlescurley.com> writes:

Pick one of: /var/run or /run, make that the default.
scons varrun=/XX to change to the other one.

Which s/b the default?

For me, I would make /run the default. But I have no idea what
non-Debian systems do. RPi? xBSD? Redhat and derivatives?

The real question is: Is there anything but Debian that has adopted
/run?  I view this as a Debian oddity, not the normal case.

Gentoo Linux has /var/run symlink’d to /run.  Has been this way for a while I think (since 2015 when /run was added?).  I think /run is the preferred, and the link is for compatibility.

Looks like Arch Linux is doing the same thing (found this while looking for the Gentoo history):

And it looks like it dates back to 2011 and was caused/changed for systemd/udev (part of systemd):

So most/all OS’s that support systemd have /run configured this way?  (I use Gentoo w/o systemd).

Thanks,
Frank

More good discussion here, and mentions FHS:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/separate-run-and-var-run-4175524722/

Thanks,
Frank