gpsd-users

Re: Warning: upcoming systemd issue: /var/run

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: Warning: upcoming systemd issue: /var/run
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 10:02:20 -0400

"Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> writes:

> How would scons discover whether /var/run or /run is desired?
> With the complication that the build may be a cross compile?

Indeed, but automatic selection for non-cross and being able to set it
for cross is not a crazy response.

> Pick one of: /var/run or /run, make that the default.
> scons varrun=/XX to change to the other one.
>
> Which s/b the default?

/var/run has been where things should, one many different operating
systems, for a long time.  It's been documented in BSD hier(7) for
probably 30 years now.  Plus, as I understand it, it's been the default
in GNU/Linux systems for a very long time too, perhaps even in FHS?

Do people understand if this is more than just Debian at this point?

So I think obviously the globl default should remain /var/run.

However, if there is a test for "has this system chagned to /run" and
the build is not cross, I don't care if that particular build switches
the default.