gpsd-users

Re: Warning: upcoming systemd issue: /var/run

From: Charles Curley
Subject: Re: Warning: upcoming systemd issue: /var/run
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 20:01:26 -0600

On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 18:18:14 -0700
"Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> wrote:

> Yo Charles!
>
> On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 19:13:51 -0600
> Charles Curley <charlescurley@charlescurley.com> wrote:
>
> > > I guess this needs to be a --varrun= configure switch, to set the
> > > path to be used when /var/run ought to be, however you spell that
> > > in scons.
> >
> > Can our resident scons expert build it into scons so we don't even
> > need the configure switch?
>
> How would scons discover whether /var/run or /run is desired?
> With the complication that the build may be a cross compile?

If you are compiling native

    If /run exists, that's the target

    else  if /var/run exists, that's the target

    else  complain to the user & give up.

    then

then

That could get messy if the run directory could in yet another place....

For cross compiling, you would still want the option.

> Pick one of: /var/run or /run, make that the default.
> scons varrun=/XX to change to the other one.
>
> Which s/b the default?

For me, I would make /run the default. But I have no idea what
non-Debian systems do. RPi? xBSD? Redhat and derivatives?

Fortunately, this is not an emergency, and we have time.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/