gpsd-users

Re: Clarifications about PPS SHM content

From: Martin Boissonneault
Subject: Re: Clarifications about PPS SHM content
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2020 12:15:15 -0400

Hi all,

Just a quick update: My jitter wasn't caused by ntpheat.
For the past few days, I turned off ntpheat and this bad ~700ns jitter (had ~265ns before) is continuing. I've been hunting the cause, the clue I have is a negative clock offset spike every 45min.

So far, I think it's the timeout period of the ADS-B decoders (~3888s). My current hypothesis is that there are so few planes up there that the feeders/decoders restart because they haven't seen a plane in 45min. So, I've shut down the ADS-B decoders/feeders.

If I'm right, I'll know in a few hours! Then, if it's fixed, I'll be able to brag about my NTP server being affected by COVID-19 ;-)

Stay safe,
Martin