gpsd-users

Re: GPSD For Real Time Application

From: Kashyap Gada
Subject: Re: GPSD For Real Time Application
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 08:49:40 +0530

Hey Greg,

Really appreciate your reply.
I tried my best to reply to your response and when I rechecked the same I feel I was reasonable enough in replying to all the questions you asked.
> You have included 100s of gpsprof.  I said 24h, and it's very
>  different.
I made a mistake here, I thought the device should be on for 24H and then I should shared the default gpsprof output. (I will execute the same and share with you the results(image or text report do let me know))
> You didn't address most of the rest of my questions.
I am in an evaluation/proof of concept phase of a commercial project where I am a firmware developer. Currently work with off the shelf products, where I am simply reading coordinates from the GPS with GPSD. Using a patch antenna and not doing any interpolation between readings. I require 5M CEP 95% but at the same time I also need to evaluate if GPSD/Python clients can handle 100MPH Vehicle Speeds and maintain that accuracy. I tried to list my requirements in my first post. Since the vehicle is a locomotive on rails,  full sky view will be available most of the times (~95%) with occasional tunnels and 3-4 months of cloudy weather. I don't have any idea about constellations and thats why as I mentioned before the GNSS will be set at default configuration (SBAS for now, RTK/DGPS impossible to use as the locomotive may travel ~1000miles , I would not mind using some correction service if its not extremely expensive. I am currently contacting different vendors for quotations etc. Though came across Novatel/VectorNav as good options).

>You have not explained if you are doing this as a hobby, if this is a
  > class project in school, or if you are working as an employee of a
  > company, or if you are a contractor/consultant for a company.  For
  > context about why people might care, see:
  >  https://berthub.eu/articles/posts/anonymous-help/

Appreciate the above article and all the community. It was very enlightening reading the minds of open source developers.

Regards

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 12:47 AM Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:
Kashyap Gada <address@hidden> writes:

> Greg,
>
>>Also, you said "accuracy required is about 5m", but you didn't explain
>>if that was CEP, 1 or 2 standard deviations, 95th percentile, or 99th
>>percentile.
>
> I am a very novice user about the navigation and locations. You
> rightly mentioned that I would need a consultant. Currently I have set
> Ublox Neo M8U at 10hz with all other settings at default.  I require
> CEP <5M at 99%. That’s my requirement and NEO-M8U is CEP 2.5M at
> 50%. This device doesn’t fulfil my requirements but that is what I
> have right now and I want that with whatever accuracy it operates
> first thing is I want to have a working application at
> 10Hz. Simultaneously I am looking for better GNSS receivers which can
> provide better locations.

A few comments: