gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Issue with Rasbian Jessie

From: Jon Brase
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Issue with Rasbian Jessie
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2016 13:58:53 -0600

On Sat, 05 Mar 2016 04:49:54 -0600, Bo Berglund <address@hidden> wrote:

When I tried to check it using cgps -s there was a screen with no data
anywhere which disappeared after a few seconds with a timeout message.

I believe the gpsd package in Raspbian sets up GSPD to autostart. With the default configuration, however, GPSD dies at startup, but systemd is "helpfully" listening on its port, ready to pass data on (but GPSD is dead). As a result, when you run GPSD from a console, it will find the default port already occupied, and cgps with the default port will get a connection (systemd init is listening), but no data (init isn't doing anything with the port, other than notionally forwarding it to GPSD). If systemd has tried to start GSPD, then whether GSPD is currently running or not, you can't use the default port to start it from a terminal. You have to use the -S option to specify an alternate port, then point cgps at that port when you run it.

--
Jon Brase