gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Issue with Rasbian Jessie

From: Bo Berglund
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Issue with Rasbian Jessie
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 23:25:56 +0100

>> I believe the gpsd package in Raspbian sets up GSPD to autostart. With
>> the default configuration, however, GPSD dies at startup, but systemd is
>> "helpfully" listening on its port, ready to pass data on (but GPSD is
>> dead). As a result, when you run GPSD from a console, it will find the
>> default port already occupied, and cgps with the default port will get a
>> connection (systemd init is listening), but no data (init isn't doing
>> anything with the port, other than notionally forwarding it to GPSD). If
>> systemd has tried to start GSPD, then whether GSPD is currently running
>> or not, you can't use the default port to start it from a terminal. You
>> have to use the -S option to specify an alternate port, then point cgps
>> at that port when you run it.
>
>If you need to keep systemd you should be able to get around systemd's
>capture of the socket by disabling its use for gpsd:
>
>systemctl disable gpsd.socket

I tried that command (with sudo) and then netstat -lnpt to check the
situation.
But both before and after the list shows the port exists:

tcp  0  0 127.0.0.1:2947   0.0.0.0:*  LISTEN  -

Notice, no process holds the port open, just like you said...

So how can I make this port go away? Do I have to restart Jessie?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden