gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Issue with Rasbian Jessie

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Issue with Rasbian Jessie
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 10:38:50 -0800

Yo George!

On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 11:23:21 -0700
George Sexton <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> I have used GPSD on quite a large number of Raspberry Pi cards,
> >> without issue, under Raspbian Wheezy.  However, on a new RPi 2, the
> >> following happens:
> > I find that no distro gets gpsd auto-start correctly.

> NTPD needs to start first to create the shared memory segment that
> GPSD can use.

gpsd will also create them, but maybe not the same way.  One more reason
why the chronyd socket method is better.

> However, since GPSD isn't available, the GPS clocks
> aren't available to NTPD.

Could be up to 30 mins while the GPS gets a lock.

> What I end up doing is after boot is
> re-starting GPSD, and then re-starting NTPD.

Ouch.  Good reasons to roll your own startup script.

> Another issue is the auto-baud/search feature in GPSD. It means that
> it's not available, or at least kicking out anything useful for a few
> minutes. I've improved that by adding:
>
> /usr/bin/stty --file=/dev/ttyS5 speed 38400
>
> to bypass auto-baud.

Yup, works like a charm.  Maybe it would be nice if we could give
gpsd a parameter for the first speed to try?

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588