gpsd-dev

Re: Low cost GPS, minimal assembly

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: Low cost GPS, minimal assembly
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 01:03:32 -0700

chris.kuethe@gmail.com said:
> More details please. What's it going to connect to? What do you define as low
> cost? Where is it supposed to look "at home"? How closely does 1PPS need to
> align to the second? What kind of load are you driving from the 1PPS line?
> How many of these do you need? ...

The context is replacing a LeoNTP box.  Qty 1 to few.

I think low cost was the wrong metric.  Low hassle is more important -- both
initial setup and operationally.  That's as measured by people who aren't on
this list, so off-the-shelf solutions are preferred.

I was thinking of adding GPS to ntpd running in an existing server via a serial
port.  I'm open to other ideas.

A Raspberry Pi is high on the operational hassle if you aren't already familiar
with them.  The way that power is "connected" is another point against them.

The typical USB mouse doesn't have PPS.  The few that do, well it's PPS over
USB so the timing is crappy.

If I had asked this 10 or 20 or ??? years ago, I expect the answer would have
been the Garmin GPS18-LVC.  Back then, it was close to the only game in town.
It needs power.  I'd probably steal that from USB.  Again, some hassle to wire
it up.

Some older serial cards provide power.  (for pre-USB scanners and such)

I like the idea of using a 3D printer to make a box.  Are there outfits that do
3D printing?  How much (ballpark) would they charge for a box that size?  Where
would you get a design?  ...

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.