RE: [Gomp-discuss] Primal Subset

From: Scott Robert Ladd
Subject: RE: [Gomp-discuss] Primal Subset
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 12:42:51 -0500

Lars Segerlund wrote:
>   I have a question, is not
>               #pragma omp parallel section
> 'primitive' in regard to
>               #pragma omp parallel for
>   ?
>
>    Since if we did sections we didn't have to handle the loop variable,
> and a
>               #pragma omp parallel for
>   can be thought of as composed of sections with different loop indexes ?

Well, at the real bottom of the heap is "#pragma omp parallel", which simply
parallelizes a block of code. That would be the bottom of the complexity
tree, I believe -- no loop variables.

The parallel sections pragmas

        #pragma omp sections
        {
                #pragma omp section
                        { /* code block A*/}
                #pragma omp section
                        { /* code block B */}
        }

involve assigning different code to different processors (block A is one
thread that runs parallle to another thread running block B), and so are an
entirely different kettle of fish.

..Scott