Re: [Gomp-discuss] "#pragma omp" and GCC

From: Pop Sébastian
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] "#pragma omp" and GCC
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 18:21:46 +0100

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 04:22:23PM +0100, Steven Bosscher wrote:
> Op wo 05-02-2003, om 15:39 schreef Pop Sébastian:
> > Steven,
> >
> > is it possible that you take the Open64 code
> > and have a look at how they adapt *GCC* (yes it's
> > the same compiler we talk about...) to parse
> > correctly OMP pragmas before going too deep in
> > your implementation?  They implemented OMP parsing
> > somewhere, and they did it well!  Don't forget that
> > SGI had one of the best optimizing compilers...
>
> Hmm, are you sure they've implemented OpenMP for C/C++?  I really liked
> the idea but "grep -irw omp *" doesn't show up anything that would
> suggest that "their" C/C++ front ends understand "#pragma omp"...

Really strange...
I did the same, and indeed there's nothing for parsing C/C++ OMP.
Maybe they changed the C/C++ front-ends just before releasing their
compiler into GPL?  That is just a supposition, I have to look
closer at the diffs below...

I found in version.c the right version of their checkout:
-const char *const version_string = "2.96 20000530 (experimental)";
+const char *const version_string = "sgicc-1.0 {2.96 20000530 (experimental)}";

I checked some versions and just piped the result of a diff into wc
and minimized the size: you get a minima at
- for C:
cvs up -d -D "2000-05-30 10:00"
- for C++:
cvs up -d -D "2000-06-05 23:00"

I diffed the gnu directory for C and C++ front-ends.
.diff files could be downloaded from:
http://icps.u-strasbg.fr/~pop/sgi_gccfe.diff
http://icps.u-strasbg.fr/~pop/sgi_g++fe.diff