gnuherds-app-dev

Re: Certification Authorities

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: Certification Authorities
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 20:12:46 +0200

MJ Ray wrote:
> > What is the cheaper CA of the 'big' ones?
>
> I think it's one from rapidssl.com bought through a reseller but
> I could be wrong, so would like to hear if anyone knows better.

rapidssl.com says to support a lot of browsers! Its site is also
supported by Konqueror when accessed via HTTPS.

I do not know if it is the cheaper one, directly or through a reseller.

> I can ask a reseller if needed but I've a problem buying it for you
> just now (I'll now go and remind our accountant...).

If you can buy it for the project, better. We can transfer you the money.
Else, no problem.

rapidssl.com seems a good option to buy the project's certificate, being
directly or through a reseller.

It is $69. The cheaper we get it, through a reseller..., the better.

If we do not manage to get it cheaper via a reseller we could buy it
directly on the rapidssl.com site.

> However, there is a less direct benefit to users from supporting a
> more community-minded CA *and* discouraging Opera and IE use when
> money is involved.

I agree with you, in the name of "webapp usability", the project should not
discourage Opera and IE use. We should donate some dollars more if it is
needed.

The project have two donators: the anonymous one and Dave Crossland.
Maybe adding both up we could pay it. I will donate something if it
is needed too.

MJ, you could report the next weeks if you will be able to get it cheaper or
not. The project is not in a hurry.