[open-cobol-list] Mixing Cobol with Cobol, Symbol Conflicts

From: Michael
Subject: [open-cobol-list] Mixing Cobol with Cobol, Symbol Conflicts
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 13:29:03 -0500

I installed OpenCobol on a HP server, running the latest 64bit, /Itanium/ version of HPUX. The company/client is using AcuCobol, and I planned on slowly folding OpenCobol into the mix of AcuCobol, and C, and other misc languages. The client needed a few NEW subroutines written, simple stuff, and chose OpenCobol instead of C, because 'this company' prefers Cobol and I didn't want to use AcuCobol for a subroutine library.

Bottom_line; When the OpenCobol subroutine is called from AcuCobol there are a bunch of symbol conflicts. The core dump shows a OC routine has the same name as an AcuCobol routine. Then on further investigation, there are many 'cob_' functions/routines in both OC and Acu that are named the same.

So instead of writing the new library of functions using OpenCobol I had to use C. My question (finally) is; Is it possible to change the OpenCobol function prefix from 'cob_' to 'oc_cob'? This would make easier to introduce OC into other Cobol environments, in a very subtle way.

--
Michael Anderson,
J3k Solutions