[open-cobol-list] displaying max values in comp-5 field

From: vince coen
Subject: [open-cobol-list] displaying max values in comp-5 field
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 12:05:09 +0100

Hi;

On Saturday 25 July 2009, Robert Keane wrote:
> Hello All,
>

> I've found a problem when displaying the maximum value in a comp-5 field.
> If an s9(4) comp-5 can hold +32767 or -32768. After initializing or moving
> +32767 or -32768 to the s9(4) comp-5 field the display gives +2767 or
> -2768, the high order digit is dropped. However if the comp-5 field is
> moved to a field defined with enough z's the display is ok.

A dropped leading digit does not supprise me.  Moving above 9,999 to a pic s9
(4) will result in truncation. Solution is to increase picture size to
reflect the maximum value your field will get to in this case pic s9(5)
comp-5.

Or better still use binary-short, its more effective for arithmetic etc in OC.

Vince