Re: [open-cobol-list] displaying max values in comp-5 field

From: vince coen
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] displaying max values in comp-5 field
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 12:23:58 +0100

Hi
On Monday 27 July 2009, Sergey Kashyrin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think it's not about that
> It's about DISPLAY which actually not suppose to display ANY binary or
> comp-3/4/5 fields. I don't see any contradictions with formal Cobol.

Oops, I 'assumed' that you had moved it to a numeric display field prior to
display, but my argument is still valid against various compilers in that
auto truncation can occur and manipulating a s9(4) field after over flow any
thing can and no doubt will, happen so it is still verifyable to fix by
change to s9(5) as needed.

There again I have programmed in the basis of a specific compilers behaviour
as against what the language specs say. It is only over the last few years
that I have changed my programming style to match the language specs knowing
that the compiler will no doubt change during the life of the app which will
be longer than I have anticipated as proven with code written in the 60's and
70's now being converted from MF workbench to run under Open Cobol.

Vince