Re: [open-cobol-list] OC_GTK help

From: David Essex
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] OC_GTK help
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 20:03:55 -0400

There are lots of 'platform-independent' toolkits available, mostly written in C++.

Some have multiple GUI's plug-ins, such as wxWidgets [1] (GTK, Win32 ...). Some use their own widgets to give a consistent look and feel, such as FOX [2].

Haven't used KDE in a long time, and haven't done any programming using Qt, so I can't comment.

Not familiar with the HP3000.
And the only screen scrapers I've seen are for I*M mainframes.

Michael wrote:

You mentioned Native windows API for GUI development, and I appreciate the input. Have you looked at Qt? I heard that it is platform-independent. I heard that Qt uses the native API for GUI development on whatever platform it is running on. For native windows I have used a commercial product called Cobol SP2, from Flexus, it is multi-platform, but when running on unix it still requires a Windows ThinClient. For the HP3000 migration stuff I highly recommend SP2 for screen conversions, and the Eloquence DBMS for database conversion. But sill, I have no real Linux (or GNU/GPL) solution for GUI screens.

1) wxWidgets
http://www.wxwidgets.org/

2) FOX
http://www.fox-toolkit.org/