Re: [open-cobol-list] OC_GTK help

From: David Essex
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] OC_GTK help
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 15:12:49 -0400

Michael wrote:
<Optionalreading>
I've been using Linux for years, but only using it (network config, web/html , email, ftp, and stuff like that), no real programming. I've been writing Fortran, COBOL, and some C for decades in the mini-mainframe world, started with Fortran/66 in 1983, then ansi74 COBOL in 1986, very little C. OpenCobol is my path to multi platform programming. I really want to _thank everyone _evolved in developing OpenCobol. There are other areas I need to conquer in a multi-platform environment, GUI, DBMS, and System calls or intrinsics. However, right now I can't seem to compile anything worthwhile! When (not if) I get running with this, I'll be serious advocate for OpenCobol!
</Optionalreading>

GTK is a UN*X toolkit, and a front end to the WinAPI.
It is rarely used on WinXP (even with Cygwin or MinGW).

A native WinAPI C application is relatively easy to write.
And since OC generates C code, it is easy to integrate.

Brian, maybe you could add an native WinAPI example to your FAQ, for
Cygwin (MinGW) users.

You can find a trivial example included in the TC source code [1]
(test.code/tgui02).

Hope this helps.

1) TinyCOBOL download
http://tiny-cobol.sf.net/download.php