Re: [gnu-prog-discuss] Introducing GNU Guix

From: Dmitry Bogatov
Subject: Re: [gnu-prog-discuss] Introducing GNU Guix
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 14:09:58 +0400

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 10:38 +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
I am pleased to announce GNU Guix, an on-going project to build a
functional package manager and associated free software distribution of
the GNU system.

Intresting. But I already know a few package managers: dpkg, pacman,
portage, paludis, pkgcore, rpm. Freedom cause a lot of functionality
duplication, lack of freedom -- even more.

Still, is your project is going to take place in this list?

By the way, it would be intresting to make some work about building from
VCS. To be honest, I do not cleanly undrestand what I expect because
idea of full customizability resulted in `ebuild`.

Really full customizability in fact can't go far away from
./configure ${VERY_MY_OPTIONS} && make && make install.

Do not get offended. Just from point of view of power user, not
programmer, what else is possible to offer over things already exists?

PS. I use Parabola GNU/Linux and you gave me hint what can be improved
in pacman. Thanks!

PPS. Keep me in, I do not subscribed to `gnu-system-discuss`.
--
Best regards,
        Dmitry Bogatov <address@hidden>, GNU Thales maintainer.