Re: [gnu-prog-discuss] Introducing GNU Guix

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: [gnu-prog-discuss] Introducing GNU Guix
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 11:07:53 +0000

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
> The rationale is discussed in my GHM talk at:
>
>   http://www.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/software/guile/guix-ghm-2012.20120721.pdf
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/
>
> Hope this clarifies things!

Thanks for the info.  I expect that by far the most common FAQ arising
when people see this project for the first time is what it offers over
existing package managers out there, in particular rpm and apt which
are presumably the most popular by quite some margin.

To pre-empt this FAQ, I strongly recommend answering this on the home
page in a TL;DR manner which doesn't require busy people to spend 20
minutes watching a video.  The first step would be to add a link to
those slides, but it would be a lot better to include a short section
of text which summarises the motivation for writing Guix.  You could
think of this text as the "sales pitch" for getting more hackers
involved.

Also, please make this information more prominently accessible from
the savannah project page too, since the "Homepage" link there is
easily missable.

Thanks and good luck with the project!

Adam