Re: A replacement for Info

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: A replacement for Info
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 01:56:44 -0400

    I don't know about back/forward, but the reason I think it wouldn't be
    right is because it would force the Elisp renderer to build the indices
    and things like that.

    The representation we need should have all such "global processing"
    already performed, so the rendering is local.

That argument seems very convincing.

Maybe we could define a new format which would be
Texinfo XML, plus indices and whatever else is useful
to speed up access by Emacs.  Would that be convenient?

What data are needed for Emacs to work fast on the file?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation