Re: A replacement for Info

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: A replacement for Info
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 16:51:51 -0400

    rms, years ago, you wrote something like this (it's been in the Texinfo
    manual for ages):

      If you are a programmer and would like to contribute to the GNU
      project by implementing additional output formats for Texinfo, that
      would be excellent.  But please do not write a separate translator
      texi2foo for your favorite format foo!

We're talking about having Emacs read Texinfo format, not converting
it to some other format.  Part of the issue does apply, but not all of
it.  After all, if we want to replace Info format, Emacs will have
to implement SOME additional format.  And the code in makeinfo that
we use to convert Texinfo won't be the code Emacs uses for this.

Notwithstanding that, use of Texinfo XML is a good option to consider
too.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation