Re: A replacement for Info

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: A replacement for Info
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 09:28:17 +0200

() address@hidden (Karl Berry)
() Mon, 13 Aug 2012 00:37:10 GMT

   These days, as I keep repeating to no apparent effect another viable
   -- as far as I can see, the best -- approach is use the Texinfo XML
   output as your input.

Perhaps people resist XML, no matter its viability, because it is ugly.

   This XML is an essentially complete representation of the input, but
   without the Texinfo syntax and option peculiarities, as described
   above.

It would be cool if Texinfo were able to produce SXML, a format directly
translatable to/from XML, directly.  More info:

 http://pobox.com/~oleg/ftp/Scheme/SXML.html

which says, in the intro paragraph:

 SXML is an abstract syntax tree of an XML document.
 SXML is also a concrete representation of the XML
 Infoset in the form of S-expressions.

SXML retains expressiveness and is not (as) ugly.  If Texinfo were to
output SXML, uptake amongst Lisp and Scheme programmers would quicken.
I believe the GNU system would benefit greatly as a result.

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen ..................................... GPG key: 4C807502
.                  NB: ttn at glug dot org is not me                   .