Re: A replacement for Info

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: A replacement for Info
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 10:40:52 +0200

Hi,

address@hidden (Karl Berry) skribis:

>        What about just Texinfo, or Texinfo-as-sexps?

[...]

> Texinfo is not simple to parse.

To me, the ideal solution to this would be to have the parser available
as a library.  There’s one in Guile, but it’s incomplete, and not
actually used by the Texinfo package.

> There are macros, conditionals, unusual argument parsing, and other
> source-level constructs to take into account.  Plus, the Texinfo
> language is not static, so there would be new issues about "command
> @xyz is supported by program X but not program Y".  That whole area is
> bad enough as it is.

Right.  How frequently is the language changed incompatibly, in practice?

[...]

> These days, as I keep repeating to no apparent effect, another viable --
> as far as I can see, the best -- approach is use the Texinfo XML output
> as your input.  This XML is an essentially complete representation of
> the input,

... then the above point about language evolution also applies?

(I mentioned Texinfo-as-sexps, but Texinfo-as-XML is essentially
equivalent.)

Thanks,
Ludo’.