Re: A proposed Roadmap

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: A proposed Roadmap
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 23:03:16 +0200 (CEST)

   We actually have a project for write a GNU kernel, and it is
   partially written. We dont have projects writing replacements for
   TeX or XWindow.

But our project to write a kernel started _before_ Linux, so this
point is moot.  When GNU was started, TeX and X already existed.  If
Linux had existed before our attempt to create a kernel, then I am
quite sure that we would have used Linux.

      But the fact is that Linux is free software, and will always be
      free software, and that is all that matters.

   Now _that_ is simple. Following you reasoning it is a waste of time
   to upgrade GNU programs to GPLv3. These are free software with
   GPLv2 and will always be free software, and that is all that
   matters

It isn't a waste, but it is also not always doable.  For example, the
Hurd cannot be upgrade to GPLv3 due to some various issues, the same
applies to GNU Mach; hopefully they will be solved, but just like
Linux or Solaris there is no guarantee. It might not even be possible
to upgrade the license in all GNU projects.

If all that matters is that we should use one single license for
everything, we can just fork a BSD system; which is far easier than
reinventing the wheel.