Re: A proposed Roadmap

From: Sprink
Subject: Re: A proposed Roadmap
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 02:18:55 -0400

There is just no point in releasing the GNU system based on Linux, to
compete against the hundreds of existing GNU/Linux distributions.

Coming from someone who is not yet a real developer, but a long time GNU/Linux user, and free software supporter, I strongly disagree.  I think having a GNU/Linux distro who's goal is specifically for developing the hurd would have way more advantages than any other option. One of those advantages being the distributions goal, to work towards developing the real GNU OS. Me and I assume many others would be more encouraged to use this distro on a daily basis knowing it's goal is to develop the hurd and a real GNU OS than using any other Linux distro out there, regardless of its current shape, strictly because of its goal.  I've tried installing and running the the hurd at home, which seemed almost impossible, I know if I could have at least got it up and running, I would be helpful to the project, as I am technical enough to submit good bug reports, fix minor (easy) bugs, and be a additional user (supporter) of the GNU OS and the Hurd.

And
once it would be release with Linux, it would be virtually impossible to
switch -- nobody would dare to go from a limited but perfectly working
kernel to something rough and incomplete. There would be absolutely no
chance of moving over to Hurd unless it's almost perfect -- but that
won't ever happen, as with the GNU system already released with Linux,
there would be even less inclination for people to work on the Hurd.

I don't agree with this either. When I first made the switch from Windows to Linux,Linux was not perfect, in fact, Windows worked a lot better for me. I had way more problems with Linux than windows, but that didn't stop me, because I was looking at the long run, and it felt good to know I was supporting free software, and I knew what the underlying goals and philosophy were that I was supporting just by using the software. I knew what the GNU License was, I knew what proprietary software was, I knew enough to know I would prefer to support GNU/Linux over windows, regardless if windows worked better for me. I knew if enough people used it, and supported it, it would improve, and we would have the best of both worlds (Software and Freedom). People would not use a GNU/Linux distro designed to be a road for the hurd to develop on unless they planned to use the hurd when it was released for testing in the distribution. There for, I see no reason for people to hesitate to use the Hurd over Linux, since it was their intentions for using the distribution in the first place.

The GNU system would be totally irrelevant as just yet another GNU/Linux
distribution, and the Hurd would be marginalised even more -- a perfect
loss-loss situation.

It wouldn't be just another GNU/Linux distro, it would be a distribution aimed at developing the hurd and the GNU OS. That would be its main goal. People like me, and many others, who want to support the hurd, would choose to run this distribution, test it, talk about it, submit bugs, keep it active, and people who don't plan to use the hurd in the future, would not. There would be no users of this distribution who don't want to use linux instead of the hurd. I think just getting people involved in wanting to support the hurd, is a advantage in itself. Get people excited about the hurd and the GNU OS.