Re: source-based package management

From: andrea abelli
Subject: Re: source-based package management
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:42:47 +0100

Hi there,
I really can't see the point of an "install by source" since one thing
I'm quite sure is that emerge doesn't give you any _real_ freedom more
than any other wise-package-management-system (like apt), since you
_can_ install only what emerge people want you to install (and it
doesn't seem to be very flexible, even, in how you can do it).
And binaries' performances don't seem to vary: once, I read something
by a SourceMage's guy; he just said that the distribution he was
working, according gcc's unpredictability law, a source-based
distribution will at the most run as fast a pre-compiled one.(said that
the number of active services _do_ _not_ depend on emerge's qualities)
If it would be in my power, I would not propagate this limit.
Thank you again for what you are doing.

ciao,
andrea