Re: [GNU-linux-libre] no drm book

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] no drm book
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 18:08:03 +0200

On Thu, 29 Jun 2023 01:29:35 -0700
alimiracle <alimiracle@riseup.net> wrote:

> hi
Hi,

> I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to seek your advice
> regarding publishing my book without DRM (Digital Rights Management).
I am not sure if this is the right mailing list for that kind of
questions.

This mailing list name is a bit misleading, so sometimes people (me
included) make wrong assumptions about it.

Here's the mailing list description[1]:
> A list for coordinating GNU/Linux freeing efforts across multiple
> projects - fully free distros, linux-libre, IceCat, etc. See also
> https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:FreedSoftware.

The Drm-elimination-crew[2] mailing list might be more suited because
it is related to the "Defective by Design" campaign, which also has
list of places where people can find DRM free books[3].

People might also better know specifics of book publishing there,
though the project seems to focus more on where to find these books
rather than how to publish.

As for things related to this mailing list, people might also be able
to package books in FSDG distributions but it might be better to ask
first more specific mailing lists (like defective by design) as
there is a lot of ways to publish books under free licenses and some of
them are quite different (for instance you might want or not want an
editor, want to sell hard copies too, or not, etc) and they might
either know about it or know places that know about them.

In the worse case it might be possible to compare options yourself
starting with the defective by design list of publishers.