Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Hyperbola: Final comments

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Hyperbola: Final comments
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 19:42:37 +0200

On Sun, Jul 15, 2018 at 01:32:24PM -0400, bill-auger wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 18:01:02 +0200 Jean wrote:
> > yet I do not see a checklist for those other
> > distributions
>
> those other two were added by donald because
> they were considered to have been already fully
> evaluated before the new checklist we made - so
> a checklist could be filled for them now but
> they would both be at 100% completion - if you
> have any objections against either of them; do
> open another thread about it

There is enough info in my last email for FSF, and
I am not bureaucratic one to repeat what was
written already.

> On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 18:01:02 +0200 Jean wrote:
> > For any business we
> > do, we put timelines and have expectations.
>
> this is not exactly a business though - FSF is a
> charity and the rest here are volunteers - the
> FSF has no explicit mandate or obligation to
> evaluate distros - it is just one of the many
> "campaigns" they try to do for the grander goal
> of promoting free software - as i understand it,
> most such campaigns rely heavily on volunteers
> to make them happen at all

Absolutely yes and I understand it.

Don't take the definiton of business too
narrow. I was using business in right context, and you may
check out definitions in dictionary.

And I have not referred to business in terms how
you described it. But even in those terms,
anything that a foundation or charity does is also
"business", regardless if it is non-profit.

If business is oriented towards tax exempt goals
than it is non-profit, but it still remains
business.

Jean