Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Distros ready for final review by FSF

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Distros ready for final review by FSF
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 18:13:58 +0200

This checklist is on the page:
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Hyperbola and it
looks as nice way to evaluate those incoming distros.

** FSDG Checklist for Hyperbola [/]

- [ ] Complete Distro
- [ ] No name confusion
- [ ] No other trademark issues
- [ ] Actively maintained
- [ ] Commitment to correct mistakes
- [ ] Avoids repeating propaganda or creating confusion
- [ ] Programs commonly known to have freedom issues are liberated or excluded
- [ ] No non-free firmware or binary blobs
- [ ] All software under a free license with source code provided
- [ ] Documentation under a free license
- [ ] Other "Information for practical use" under a free license
- [ ] All "non-functional" data must be freely distributable
- [ ] Does not encourage users to use or install non-free software
- [ ] No Malware

** Then:

1. Hyperbola, have the full checklist completed,
   it should be evaluated.

2. Freenix, I cannot see it is actively
   maintained, I cannot find bug handling page (I
   believe there is), and there is no much
   movement on the forum

   There is issue of using Slackware and promoting
   itself as expansion pack for Slackware.

   Quote: "The project's primary goals are to
   document all non-free software in Slackware
   distribution, and to make it easy for users to
   maintain a fully free OS based on Slackware."
   from:
   https://freenix.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=start

   That I do not go into lengthy details, in my
   opinion, the checklist is not done for
   Freenix. And I wish it would be.

3.  LibertyBSD, contains  only  scripts to  deblob
   OpenBSD,     on     its     source     website:
   https://notabug.org/libertybsd/   and   it   is
   promoting  OpenBSD  as   first  word  on  their
   website:    https://libertybsd.net/    quoting:
   "OpenBSD is  universally known as  an operating
   system designed with  security in mind, proudly
   being able  to say  that it  has had  “Only two
   remote holes in the  default install, in a heck
   of a  long time!”  However, OpenBSD  ships with
   several   pieces  of   non-free,  binary   only
   firmware in  the base system, and  depending on
   the hardware detected, by default a script will
   download more at  first boot, without informing
   the user of this.  With a default installation,
   you might  end up  using some of  this non-free
   firmware without  even knowing it– and,  if you
   try to  install additional software,  you might
   end   up    unwittingly   installing   non-free
   programs. LibertyBSD  is a  “deblobbed” version
   of OpenBSD. You can get  all of the benefits of
   OpenBSD, while being sure that there is nothing
   non-free lurking in the depths of your system."

   Further, I cannot see it is actively
   maintained, and I cannot download sources.

   That I don't go into lengthy more explanations,
   I stop here.

In general out of those 3 incoming distros,
Hyperbola have got that checklist well done.

Jean