Re: [GNU-linux-libre] 10 minutes, and uzbl browser became usable

From: Zlatan Todoric
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] 10 minutes, and uzbl browser became usable
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 14:57:07 +0100

On 11/15/2016 01:49 PM, Jaromil wrote:
On Fri, 11 Nov 2016, Jean Louis wrote:

When software is distributed to a mechanic, telling him indirectly,
that he is dumb, and he shall use click/pray to search Google and
watch videos, and nothing more, this is leading him nowhere.
just wanted to say I am completely with you on the position of not
treating users as dumb. there was a lecture here in Goteborg at FSCONS
by Elinor Carmi which I really enjoyed and, while mostly focusing on
the human-machine interaction of "user operators". She started from
stories about the early Bell telephone network days, to nowadays
content management on social media. While tangential to her speech,
she still articulated well a scenario touching this issue, of treating
users as dumb and how that is a very bad idea for everyone.

The only one treating users dumb here is you and your pal. Just because someone doesn't use and doesn't understand software the way your "enlighten" mind does, doesn't make them dumb. I fairly believe that majority of Nobel Prize winners don't use GNU/Linux, never heard about Devuan or uzbl and even if you would explain them - they would still use what they are using now. Sorry to inform you that even if majority don't care about Freedom, privacy, security at level you do, it still doesn't make them dumb and you're not in position to judge them - many still live happily, contribute to the world and know what are they doing even though they are not "educated users as you would like them to be".

I highly recommend you don't put your nose into users decision but rather listen to their needs and if you're able create Free software for their exact need without judging them or preaching to them how they don't know what is best for them and that they should listen to your suggestions - power to you. Otherwise it is insulting to see how you two try to enforce that you're right and I for one, could care every mail less and less.

in Devuan we are definitely witnessing this too. Many users fleeing
out from the systemd imposition in Debian are offended by the way they
are treated as stupid.

Sorry to say, but Devuan anti-Free software attack against another Free software projects didn't accomplish anything. Debian is the giant bastion of Free software engineering and high quality product while Devuan is IMHO just a joke (https://devuan.org/os/debian-fork/ -> reading first few lines is already enough to not take it seriously).