Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Request for Endorsement for ConnochaetOS

From: Henry Jensen
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Request for Endorsement for ConnochaetOS
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 10:25:45 +0200

Hello,

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 18:44:23 -0500
Quiliro Ordóñez <address@hidden> wrote:

> Open source philosophy proposes to use open source software as much as
> possible. And where it is not possible it proposes to use proprietary
> software as long as this is better for the development model.

That is not true in all cases. There are "Open Source" camps who reject
proprietary software and "free software" activists who have no problems
of using proprietary software. For example the OpenBSD project
describes itself as "free" but most OpenBSD people I spoke to have no
problem at all with using proprietary software on their desktop.

> Free software philosophy proposes to eradicate non free software and to
> develop alternatives to non free software or not use it at all.

This is a example of a cultural difference I spoke about in my last
mail. For me it is unthinkable to say that I want to "eradicate"
something. This is language I and most other people in my cultural
environment avoid.

Regards,

Henry