Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Request for Endorsement for ConnochaetOS

From: Henry Jensen
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Request for Endorsement for ConnochaetOS
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 10:42:51 +0200

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 21:59:46 -0500
Quiliro Ordóñez <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> At http://www.fsf.org/working-together/gang/ the FSF even endorses
> >> FreeBSD, which is known to have proprietary software in their ports.
> >> (personally I think, FreeBSD shouldn't be listed there. If they must
> >> list a BSD system it should be OpenBSD, which has, in contrast to
> >> FreeBSD, an explicit free software agenda).
> >>

> > I don't see FreeBSD as an endorsed free OS. Will you please provide
> > the link to report that bug?
>
> Possibly they are refering to its kernel which I beleive is free
> http://www.fsf.org/working-together/gang/freebsd . Nevertheless, it
> shouldn't be endoresed because it promotes non free software.

The naming situation in BSD is not like the situation in GNU/Linux.
"FreeBSD"is the whole system, kernel + userland. The kernel alone is
just called "the FreeBSD kernel". And even if they referred only to the
kernel, as far as I know the situation with non-free blobs in the
FreeBSD kernel is even worse than with the Linux Kernel.